[Skip to main content] [Skip to secondary navigation]

Types of Accident

Whether you were a driver, passenger, pedestrian or a cyclist you will be able to claim compensation if you were injured in an accident and that injury was caused or contributed to by the fault or omission of someone else.

Road Traffic Accidents

Whether you were a driver, passenger, pedestrian or a cyclist you will be able to claim compensation if you were injured in an accident and that injury was caused or contributed to by the fault or omission of someone else.

It does not usually matter if the person to blame was uninsured or untraced (e.g hit and run) because the law still provides for you to make a claim if no insurer can be identified by making a claim through the Motor Insurers' Bureau (MIB) which is a Government funded body.

Even if you were partly to blame for the accident you can still receive a percentage of compensation, e.g. if you were involved in a head on collision in the middle of the road, there being no witnesses, it may well be that your claim would be settled on a 50/50 basis which means that you would be entitled to 50% of your claim which could still be very significant.

Workplace Accidents

Unfortunately, accidents often happen in the workplace. There are very strict regulations imposed upon employers to protect employees and it is very often difficult for employers to defend claims for compensation.

Accidents in the workplace can be extremely varied in nature and type and can include but are not limited to:

  • Slipping and Tripping
  • Lifting Accidents
  • Falls
  • Failure or Absence of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
  • Industrial Diseases
  • Insufficient Training
  • Use of Inappropriate or Inadequate Equipment

If you are involved in an accident at work it is very good practice to make a record of that injury in the accident report book but if one does not exist, then by writing to your employer. Otherwise it may not be possible to identify when the accident actually occurred and there may be a dispute in the future.

Industrial Disease Claims

Unfortunately there are a number of diseases and problems which can be encountered in the workplace which can result in disability, sometimes significant, These claims include but are not limited to:

  • Asbestos Exposure Claims
  • Repetitive Strain Injuries (RSI)
  • Shock Injuries
  • Breathing Difficulties
  • Dermatitis
  • Deafness Claims
  • Vibration White Finger (VWF)

Accidents and Illnesses Abroad

If you have been injured whilst abroad you could be entitled to claim compensation.

It does not necessarily matter whether your accident occurred on holiday in this country or abroad or whether the package was dealt with privately or arranged through a package tour. You may be able to make a claim either against your tour operator, the hotel or some other organisation/individual.

The accidents which can occur abroad include the following but are not limited to:

  • Road Traffic Accidents
  • Boat and Maritime Accidents
  • Slipping, Tripping and Falls
  • Air Travel Accidents

The Package Travel, Package Holidays and Package Touring Regulations 1992 provide holiday makers with considerable protection. Under this legislation claims can be pursued in the UK courts.

Children’s Accidents

Accidents which involve children are perhaps the most traumatic of all accidents both for a child itself and also for the parents and carers involved.

Children may be involved in accidents at home, school or in the roads and frequently happen because a child does something silly or careless. The law agrees that children are less responsible than adults for their actions and third parties have greater responsibility to take care that children are not injured.

A personal injury claim usually has to be completed or at least proceedings issued within three years of the date of the accident. However, the rules operate differently in relation to children and the three year time limit does not start to run until the child’s 18th birthday. In addition in some very serious head injury cases there can be no time limit at all.

Accidents in Public Places

If you do sustain an accident in a public place you may be able to claim compensation. For example, if the building was open to the public, such as a supermarket, restaurant or leisure centre, then the organisation or body responsible for that building can be held liable through the operation of the principles of Occupier’s Liability.

If an accident occurred outdoors it may be that a private organisation or the local authority is responsible for that area. For instance, if you trip upon an uneven paving stone on a roadway, are cut sliding down a slide in a public park, or cut yourself on glass not cleaned away in a private or council car park you may be entitled to claim compensation from the responsible party.

Copyright © 2020 Rutherfords Legal LLP. All rights reserved.

Site by Carousel Marketing, powered by Big Room Internet