Our origins start in Tamworth in 1925 with the legal practice of William Rutherford. After nearly 95 years in practice, the firm has grown from a traditional partnership called Rutherfords Solicitors evolving to our current limited liability partnership of Rutherfords LLP.
Rutherfords Solicitors practiced from main offices at Lady Bank in Tamworth opposite the castle grounds. This Victorian terrace included a Tudor-Gothic style grade II listed building built in 1845 for Sir Robert Peel`s bank (the Tamworth Savings Bank). Known as the Bank House this remains one of the few buildings in Tamworth to be awarded a blue plaque by the Tamworth Heritage Trust.
The practice of Rutherfords Solicitors has always served both the private individual and the business community over the years. Rutherfords started advising on insurance and public prosecution matters after World War II. This including acting for key public bodies such as the Health & Safety Executive, the Department for Trade & Industry, the Department for Work and Pensions and the Information Commissioner.
The firm has a strong litigation background and previously offered specialism in clinical negligence, general personal injury and defendant insurance matters. Two partners were approved panel solicitors for national insurance companies and the Medical Defence Union in London.
The firm also had branch offices in Sutton Coldfield and Castle Bromwich and operated a separate lettings agency in Victoria Road Tamworth.
The firm became incorporated as a limited liability partnership on 31 October 2011.
The focus of the firm is now serving commercial and corporate clients in the Tamworth and Birmingham areas, with specialist departments in private client (wills and probate), litigation and debt collection, residential conveyancing and employment. The branch offices have since closed as part of the long term strategic planning of the firm although we continue to serve our clients from those catchment areas. The commercial department has continued to grow from strength to strength serving small to medium sized companies leading to the recruitment of additional solicitors and support staff.
On 19 September 2016 we took the bold decision to leave our traditional office in the center of Tamworth at Lady Bank and move to Ventura Retail Park. These modern offices on Ventura Park Road have dedicated parking facilities for clients and easy access from the A5 and M42 junction 10 motorway.