Fixed Costs for Debt Recovery Work – Contested Matter
If at any stage the matter becomes contested then you will be charged on a time/ costs basis for all work undertaken on your file.
Our Debt Recovery Team
There are five members of the Debt Recovery Team who may work on your matter as detailed below:
- Stephen Wengraf is a Partner and Head of Litigation with a current hourly rate of £280 plus VAT
- Hayden Mellowship is a Solicitor with a current hourly rate of £185 plus VAT
Regardless of who works on your matter, they will be supervised by Steve Wengraf, Partner and Head of the Debt Recovery Department.
Please note that preferential rates are available upon request for multiple instructions. Please contact the Debt Recovery Department for more details about these rates.
Where the matter can be resolved without the issue of proceedings, the claim letter will be sent within a few days of having your full instructions. It then usually take around two to six weeks to receipt of payment from the other side,
If it is necessary to issue a claim then matters will usually take 10 weeks on the basis that the opponent pays promptly upon receipt of Judgment in Default.
If enforcement action is needed then the matter will take longer to resolve.
- Before the issue of Court proceeding there are guidelines called the Pre Action Protocols which set out a process that the pre litigation process should follow. In general terms the defendant has 14 – 30 days (depending on the circumstances) to acknowledge a claim and then up to 3 months to substantively respond to a claim. At all stages both claimant and defendant must respond to requests and both must act reasonably.
- If the case is not possible of resolution. Court proceeding may have to be issued which will almost always be in the County Court. If proceedings are issued and defended these are then allocated to a track by the Court which is appropriate to the complexity and value of the case.
– Generally a claim for losses under £10,000 (under £1,000 for personal injury case) are Small Claims and should get from issue of proceedings to a Trial in 6 – 9 months.
– Claims of £10,000 to £25,000 (£1,000 to £25,000 for personal injury claims) are dealt with as Fast Track Claims and should get from issue of proceedings to Trial in about 12 months.
– Complex cases and ones involving damages which exceed £25,000 are Multi Track Claims which are likely to reach Trial in 12 – 24 months).
The above figures are guidance only. At all stages we will endeavour to give as precise as possible time estimates as the matter progresses.